Sunday, April 8, 2012

A Seuss-filled Day!

On Saturday, I met up with my friends Larry and Katie to go on a photowalk around Springfield, MA. I've never actually been to Springfield, other than to catch the bus or train, so I wasn't sure what to expect. We parked downtown near the government buildings.


We were so fortunate that it was a beautiful day and that loads of trees were in bloom or just starting to bud.


I was really loving the interesting architecture and the cool little details that we were finding.


We headed down towards the Mass Mutual Center and beyond. Fortunately, we had Larry as our guide. 


We walked past the old post office, now government building, and I couldn't help but take tons of pictures of the amazing windows and tree in front of it. So beautiful!


We walked up towards Mattoon St., which looked like it was transplanted straight from Boston. I was pleasantly surprised to find this gem in the city. The street was lined with beautiful, old brick homes built in the 1800's. Larry mentioned that in the summer this street has a craft fair, where they close the street to traffic and host the show.


We walked up and around and came back down towards the quadrangle, where the Springfield Museums are located. There's a small parking lot in front of a main ticketing center where you can purchase your admission to the 3 museums (the Science Museum, and two Art Museums).


Situated in the center of the museums was the Dr. Seuss garden. The first statue that you see when you enter is the Lorax. I had a nice little photoshoot with him and my friend Larry took my photo (thanks Larry!). 


Beyond the Lorax, was the main statue area. There was a large open bronze book, which was enscribed with Dr. Seuss's "Oh, the Places You'll Go!". Peeking out from the side was the Grinch and Max.


Next to it was a statue of Dr. Seuss sitting at his drawing table being watched over by The Cat in the Hat.


The main statue showcased everything from "Horton Hears a Who" to "Green Eggs and Ham" to "The Cat in the Hat". (and yes, the eggs were green!)


I had fun taking pictures of my friends taking pictures of me before we headed home.


On our way home, we decided to meet up with our families and go out to dinner at Michael's Pasta in the Pan. Larry suggested it as one of many places we could go and I can't say no to carbs. The cool thing about this place is that the pasta literally comes out to you in the pan it was cooked in. I had the Michael's Chicken Special and Adam had the Baked Scrod dish. Both were excellent and we'll definitely be returning!


It was an excellent day followed by an excellent meal with friends. I can't wait to do it all again! :)

7 comments:

  1. Nice sunny shots! Wish I could've tagged along! :) sounded like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We wish you could have been there too!! You'll just have to come visit. :))

      Delete
  2. It was a fun day. You made Springfield look stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! It was definitely a fun day! Thanks for the tour of the city!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a fun day. And those are some great shots! I'm sure Larry makes an excellent tour guide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, surprisingly Larry does make an excellent tour guide (he didn't get us lost, so that's a major plus!). He's also good at suggesting restaurants in the area.

      Delete
  4. Those are fun shots.....one of the things I like about your processing is you keep the photos real. The natural light shines through your work. You did a nice job photographing this area with our photog friends, Larry & Katie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search