Monday, October 1, 2012

Pittsburgh: Phipps Conservatory

One day I decided to check out Phipps Conservatory, which is located just behind the Carnegie Library and the CMU campus. I had met up with Adam for lunch at their cafe and afterwards wanted to take an hour or so and walk around the place. Little did I know that I would actually need a few hours - the place is massive. There are 14 rooms and two outdoor spaces.


When you walk into the lobby area, you're greeted by a gorgeous Dale Chihuly chandelier.


I spoke with the docent who took my ticket and he said to avoid getting lost, always turn right. It was a huge help, because I definitely would have gotten lost if he hadn't mentioned that.


They had a giant tropical room with tons of orchids, which was lovely. There were even a few lady slippers in bloom.


I loved the room with the butterflies. I had no idea monarchs inside their chrysalises are so gorgeous. I was told to keep an eye out for the hibiscus plants the size of dinner plates, which were way back in the corner of one of the outdoor spaces. Forget dinner plates, those suckers were the size of my head!!



This was probably my favorite Chihuly installation. I loved the way that the spikes of the glass mimicked the spiky plants in this room.


I caught a nun enjoying the scenery. It's seriously so peaceful in here, I can see why.


I ended up getting a yearly membership, because I loved the place so much. I can't wait to get back out to Pittsburgh, I'm looking forward to seeing their seasonal rotation!

1 comment:

  1. What a great place! And those are some great photos of it. Yes, I say that about all your photos. But they are. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search