Thursday, October 18, 2012

Family Visit: Fall in Massachusetts

My mom and sister expressed interest in going pumpkin picking while they were here. My sister wanted to make some pumpkin cream cheese rolls for my mom to bring home with her. So I took them to a local farm, McCray's to do some pumpkin picking.


We were brought to the closest patch, last year my friends and I were trucked out to what I think was the furthest patch from the entrance. There are some really lovely views of the mountains from this farm. My sister's boyfriend pointed out a bunch of baby gourds growing on a vine. They were so tiny!


McCray's also has a small petting zoo section with a few llamas, sheep, and goats.


After McCray's, we went over to Cook's Farm to have lunch and some ice cream. I figured on our way back we could stop at Atkin's Farm to grab some cider donuts (the best cider donuts in all the land!) and then we could drive up Mount Holyoke to see the view from the top of Skinner State Park.


Normally, the top of the mountain has easy access to the views, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) they're fixing up the summit house, so they've blocked off the normal route to the top from the parking lot. We talked to a ranger who said they hope to open the summit house by November 8th. It's been closed for the last 4 years I think. I can't wait to be able to see the view from the deck! It wasn't a nice day cloud wise, but it was comfortable out and the view was still lovely with the changing leaves.


We had to trek up one side of the mountain that was a pretty steep trail and somewhat slippery, so mom needed a little assistance. I'm happy to report she made it to the top with no problems.


From the other side of the mountain, you could see the UMass Amherst campus.


We didn't stick around too long - the forecast called for rain. It was fun though to be able to show my family some of the local attractions that they've never been able to experience before. Soon my friend Diana will be here for a visit and I'll get to do this all again (be sure to check out her blog)!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! Glad they got to visit! I can't wait to see it (and you) too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search