Sunday, March 18, 2012

Spring has Sprung!

This morning I headed over to the Talcott Greenhouse at Mount Holyoke College to see their annual spring flower show. I knew that Mt. Holyoke had an annual flower show, but didn't realize it was going on until a friend mentioned that she had brought her kids there yesterday to see it. I was excited to go check it out.


When you first enter the greenhouse, you have a three choices as to where to go. I chose to go left, which is where the main flower show action was.



A little further back was the succulent room. I've never actually been in this room before, but it's really pretty. Some of the succulents were even beginning to flower!


I loved that there was a vine growing through the two rooms of the greenhouse connecting them, probably since the early 1900's. I also was so smitten with the verse printed on the windows between the two rooms that fits so well with the college and the valley.


I walked back through the main flower showcase room to get to the tropics room, taking in all the gorgeous colors and wonderful smells.


I love that there's a little pond in the tropics room, that's home to a few frogs and some fish. The tropics room is also home to beautiful orchids, some of which were in bloom.


My favorite room of the greenhouse is the large room that houses a few palm trees and other tropical plants. I couldn't help but take a self portrait in here, the lighting was just so nice. I also ended up taking a picture of my Epiphanie Lyric purse, which I won in their contest back in January. For you lady photographers who hate bringing a manly bag around with you, this camera purse is amazing. I can fit almost all of my lenses in it (I was packing my 70-300mm, my 50mm, & my 8mm fisheye today) along with my wallet clutch, phone, chapstick, hand sanitizer, etc and I honestly can't believe how comfortable it feels with all that gear in it! (I was asked by a friend to write up a review on this bag, which I'll do soon!) 


The last room of the greenhouse, which is to the right when you enter, is where they're growing their seedlings. Today it looked like they had some herbs, a few freesia plants, pansies, and some other random plants growing.


I ended my trip with one last walk through the flower room, donated some cash to the greenhouse (supporting their efforts!) and headed home. It's a really beautiful greenhouse and definitely worth a visit if you're in the area!

5 comments:

  1. I am blown away by your beautiful pictures! I hope to work on my photography skills when it gets nicer out, since natural light and spring flowers just seem to do wonders on camera :) Do you edit these at all, or is your camera just this fantastic on its own? All I have for photo editing is what came on my computer, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! :) I learned everything I know about photography from other photog friends and reading online. I edited these pics using Lightroom mainly (it's my favorite photo editing program, I don't have time to learn photoshop right now), but for some of them I used a program called Photomatix, which creates an HDR image. I used to use iPhoto for all my pics until last year, so don't feel bad! I didn't start working on my skills until I started my 365 project and I'm always learning!

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great, colorful place! All those flowers and such look fantastic. Nice self portrait, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! It sure was beautiful. I wish flowers could bloom all the time. Oh wait, they do in Florida and California. :P

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flower photos.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search